I realized that there is an extreme lack of Superheroes who do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Sherdog has a massive thread called MMArvel Superheroes, and here’s another fun thread from a comic book website. For me, I imagined a world where Superheroes did BJJ and came up with what I think they’d excel at in this context. Please feel free to agree or disagree, or completely make a new list.
1. Mr Fantastic, master of the Rubber Guard. Mr Fantastic, a member of the Fantastic 4, has the ability to stretch his body like a rubber band. So, when it comes to the position requiring the most flexibility, he’s all over it. Also, he’d be excellent at withstanding any sort of joint lock and excel at the Figure Four.
2. Wonder Woman, queen of the belt chokes. Deadly with her lasso of truth, this would directly apply to her jiu jitsu skills. She’d be able to wrap up her opponents with their belts or hers in no time at all.
3. Spiderman, King of the Spider Guard. Yeah, I know, that one’s a gimme. He’s flexible and strong, and wouldn’t be able to resist this.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, experts at turtling. I know – it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. These are practically writing themselves.
5. Superman, King of the Flying Armbar. And really, anything that involves flying – flying triangles, flying kimuras, flying guard, flying takedowns. Some of those don’t exist, but I guarantee Superman would be able to make them happen.
Which superheroes would you add?