HAPPY END OF THE YEAR! HAPPY It’s always fun to look back, and taking a page from Scalzi, I’ve decided to do this review a bit differently.
I made it to jiu jitsu 112 times this year. That’s up from last year’s 71 times. As a white belt I trained a total of 118 days in just under a year, and as a blue belt, in the past 2.5 years I have trained 230 times – which includes the 6 months I was out with a herniated disc. I was given my fourth stripe this year. Twice I was asked to teach a beginner class.
I felt like I made a lot of progress in my movement this year. I’ve been working on using momentum more, and if the front door is locked, to try the back door – ie. if I can’t pass to the left, try the right. I LOVE being able to move, to invert, and roll.
2014 Goals: 200 days of training. Hopefully purple belt in December.
My favorite gear of the year is spats! I’ve started wearing them ALL THE TIME. I even sometimes go full spats at friends’ houses! I started wearing them under my gi pants as well. They’re dead useful!
My favorite gi of the year has been my Leticia Ribeiro gi, which I picked up for only $40! The fit is perfect for both the top and the bottoms – nearly unheard of for me!
2014 Goals: Post reviews of my gis and spats. Pick up some other jiu jitsu gear from alternative sources and share about them!
I started doing handstands this year, and I’m thrilled. It’s nice to have something I can do that has concrete gains. This year I ended my weight at around 148-150. I was consistent in that. Last year I did my big weight loss push, and I ended up getting down to 145, but after my vacation I was back up to 160. After that, I lost at my regular, consistent speed, and have been under 150 for the past 6 months. I take that as a win.
2014 Goals: To be able to do a free-handstand and to hold a one-handed handstand against the wall for 10 seconds. To be down to the 140-143 range.
Wow. Just wow. Since moving my website this year in July, I have received as much traffic in 6 months as I have for the entire 3 years prior. That is freaking amazing. And the quality of comments continues to go up. You guys seriously rock. Here are some of my posts that this year you guys liked, I liked, or had amazing comments:
- Women and BJJ: Periods
- Women and BJJ: Quitting
- PSA: One changing room
- Male Privilege in Jiu Jitsu: A Primer Note: comments are closed on this as it was attracting many abusive comments.
- Advantages Women have in Jiu Jitsu
- BJJ: Which level did you start at?
- BJJ and Gender: It MAY be all in your head
- BJJ and Gender: Being a newbie gal with PTSD
- BJJ: Frustration
- BJJ and Women: Being Vulnerable
- BJJ Tournaments: Mindset
- BJJ and Women: The Kyra Gracie Principle
- BJJ: Meet Heejin Lee, Korea’s First Female BJJ Blackbelt!
- BJJ and Women: Parody Videos
- BJJ Tournaments: The Highlander Medal
- BJJ: To the fat person googling jiu jitsu
- BJJ ads: Sexy vs Sexual
- BJJ and Women: Think before you post
- BJJ and Women: Lack of Women in Tournaments
- BJJ and Women: Uncomfortable gear
- BJJ: The hardest sport you’ll ever love
- BJJ and Women: What Do You Wear?
- BJJ: THE Best Reason to do Jiu Jitsu
2014 Goals: Reader acknowledgment, more consistent posting schedule.
JiuJiu’s Question: What were some things you accomplished this year? What were some of your most popular or best posts of the year? What are some goals you have for 2014?